May, the gateway to summer is an active month for pest control, especially for businesses. In this blog we look at some of the most requested pest control requests from businesses during the month of May.
- Scorpions – By the month of May, baby scorpions are ready to forage on their own and this means they are expanding their habitat. It is very common to find scorpions in open buildings where there is not a lot of activity, such as a garage, restaurant – especially outdoor areas, warehouses, etc. While, creepy, all the scorpions found in Texas are not considered medically dangerous, though their sting is quite painful.
- Black Widow Spiders – While these spiders tend to stay active most of the year indoors, their eggs begin to hatch in early spring and the babies must fend for themselves immediately. This means that the spiders disperse and begin to set up webs of their own. In a quiet storeroom, warehouse or the back corner of restaurants, and other quiet places, a black widow can go unnoticed. They typically bite people as a defense and their bite is medically concerning. This is the time of year when people notice a lot of spiders. Most of the smaller and medium-sized spiders are all well established by May and the larger ones are emerging and looking for food.
- Wasps – The saga of the wasp continues to unfold in May and by now the colonies are growing. The warmer weather means more encounter with wasps and especially the social wasps such as Yellowjackets, Paper wasps, hornets, etc. This is an active time of year for paper wasps as they are frantically building little cone structures to start their colonies. Yellowjackets and hornets have emerged and are looking for food. Many of the social wasps with the exception of some of the paper wasp species overwinter well in Texas and have a jump start on their populations. They are making their presence known at restaurants where the smell of cooking food attracts them. Paper wasps are pests that should be dealt with now before the first round of eggs hatch and the colony expands. They are often found in warehouses, under eaves of restaurants and other buildings.
- Red Imported Fire Ant – Another active pest and by May colonies that have gone unnoticed in March and April are very apparent. Fire ants do not invade building, but they do take over yards, and outdoor areas around businesses.
- Other Pests in May – Cockroach remain a problem, year-round here. Bigger spiders like Wolf Spiders are noticed and the males are out looking for mates and might wonder indoors. Centipedes are out and scavenging for food or lurking under refuse. Many of these pests will find their way into businesses.
We offer a wide range of pest control services that are designed for businesses of all types. Reach out to our team for more information and pest identification and solutions.